Pass your CIMA Strategic Case Study
And get 1 step closer to becoming a CGMA
What is SCS all about
The Strategic Case Study Examination is the final competency test in the CIMA Professional Qualification and expects the learner to think and respond like a senior finance manager. The Case Study Examination provides a simulated context which allows students to demonstrate that they have acquired the required knowledge, skills, techniques and mindset for that role.
The Case Study Examination provides a simulated context which allows learners to demonstrate that they have acquired the required knowledge, skills, techniques and mindset for that role. Those five core activities are:
- Develop business strategy.
- Evaluate business ecosystem and business environment.
- Recommend financing strategies.
- Evaluate and mitigate risk.
- Recommend and maintain a sound control environment.
Each of those core activities will have 15%-25% weight on the exam.
- The examination lasts three hours. A 15-minute tutorial is available before the start of the examination to allow candidates to familiarise themselves with the test driver.
- The examination has three sections (tasks), which are each one-hour long. All sections are equally weighted. Candidates may finish a section early and move on to the next but cannot return to previous sections in the time remaining.
- There may be more than one sub-task within each section and an indication of how long to spend on each sub-task will be given to allow candidates to manage their time. If no weighting is given, then candidates should assume that the sub-tasks are equally weighted.
- More than one core activity will normally be assessed in each section/task and the order of core activities and assessment outcomes in the blueprint does not reflect how these might be structured in the examination.
- All core activities will be assessed in each form of the examination in line with the weightings.
- The examination requires constructed, written responses from candidates in the format of a range of business communications (for example, emails, memos, reports and briefing notes).
- The Case Study Examinations are human marked.
- The Case Study results will contain the following information:
- Grade: Pass or Fail
- Scaled score: 0 to 150 with 80 and above being a Pass
- There is no requirement to obtain a pass or meet a minimum threshold for each core activity.
- Feedback on performance against each core activity will be provided so that learners know their areas of weakness for further study.
- There are four examination windows per year, in February, May, August and November. For details of upcoming Case Study Examination dates, visit cimaglobal.com.
- Pre-seen material will be published on the CIMA website ahead of the examination. Candidates must use the material to prepare for the examination, immersing themselves in the simulated scenario and considering the organisation’s current position and future strategy.
- During the course of the examination, new information will be provided at the start of each section (task). In response, candidates will have to consider the new information that’s been given, as well as their previous analysis of the pre-seen material.
- Results will be available in MyCIMA about six weeks after the examination.
5 Key Facts about the SCS exam
There are no calculations in the Case Study Exam
Technical knowledge of the theory from F3, P3 and E3 syllabi will be required
The Pre-Seen will be released 7 weeks before the exam
A balanced answer script is your key to success
There is no escaping the keyboard!
What do you need to PASS your SCS exam?
There are 2 main steps:
How do you start preparing for your upcoming Strategic Case Study (SCS) exam? A typical student would start with revising the theory of E3, F3 and P3 papers. But how do you go about it? Like our tutor Pete says "you have alreayd passed those OT exams" - now it is the time to review only the bits that could be useful for your Strategic Case Study. Now it is the time to go through the theory and only concentrate on the topics, that you can use when you write your responses.
But which are those topics? Now this is where our video course comes handy! Our tutor, based on his enourmous experience with teaching Case Studies, has selected all the important pieces for you. Each video is between 1h 20 mins to 1h 50 mins long.
What's included in the course?
Have a look at the video that we've prepared for you. It covers the introduction to SCS and 3 smaple vidoes taken form the actual course.
SCS Revisions package consists of 3 videos:
- E3 Revisions - which is the backbone of the SCS exam, covers all the important topics from teh E3 (Strategic Management) paper. It lasts for 1h 47 mins.
- F3 Revisions - covers topics from the F3 (Financial Strategy) paper and lasts for 1h 34 mins.
- P3 Revisions - covers topics from the final paper P3 (Risk Management) and lasts for 1h 19 mins.
Get your SCS August 2020 study materials!
We know how stressful it is to wonder how to prepare for one of the most difficult CIMA exams.
The 2nd most important step is to revise your current pre-seen and complete few mocks that are written for that preseen.
In order to provide you with the best chance of success, we've partnered with VIVA Financial Tuition. They speciliase in Case Studies and have prepared pre-seen analysis materials for the next August 2020 SCS sitting.