Strategic Case Study
And get on the way to become CGMA qualified
What isSCSAll About
and how can we help you prepare and pass
The Case Study Examination provides a simulated context which allows learners to demonstrate that they have acquired the required knowledge, skills, techniques and mindset for that role. Those five core activities are:
- Develop business strategy
- Evaluate business ecosystem and business environment
- Recommend financing strategies
- Evaluate and mitigate risk
- Recommend and maintain a sound control environment
Each of those core activities will have 15%-25% weight on the exam.
- There are four examination windows per year, in February, May, August and November. For details of upcoming Case Study Examination dates, visit cimaglobal.com.
- Pre-seen material will be published on the CIMA website ahead of the May and November examinations. The same preseen will be used for 2 examination windows (e.g. preseen will be the same for May-Aug and Nov-Feb sessions).
- Candidates must use the material to prepare for the examination, immersing themselves in the simulated scenario and considering the organisation’s current position and future strategy.
- During the course of the examination, new information will be provided at the start of each section (task). In response, candidates will have to consider the new information that’s been given, as well as their previous analysis of the pre-seen material.
- Results will be available in MyCIMA about six weeks after the examination.
- The examination lasts three hours. A 15-minute tutorial is available before the start of the examination to allow candidates to familiarise themselves with the test driver.
- The examination has three sections (tasks), which are each 60-minutes long. All sections are equally weighted. Candidates may finish a section early and move on to the next but cannot return to previous sections in the time remaining.
- There may be more than one sub-task within each section and an indication of how long to spend on each sub-task will be given to allow candidates to manage their time. If no weighting is given, then candidates should assume that the sub-tasks are equally weighted.
- More than one core activity will normally be assessed in each section/task and the order of core activities and assessment outcomes in the blueprint does not reflect how these might be structured in the examination.
- All core activities will be assessed in each form of the examination in line with the weightings.
- The examination requires constructed, written responses from candidates in the format of a range of business communications (for example, emails, memos, reports and briefing notes).
- The Case Study Examinations are human marked.
- The Case Study results will contain the following information:
- Grade: Pass or Fail
- Scaled score: 0 to 150 with 80 and above being a Pass
- There is no requirement to obtain a pass or meet a minimum threshold for each core activity.
- Feedback on performance against each core activity will be provided so that learners know their areas of weakness for further study.
How to study for the SCS exam
At the Strategic level, the role simulated is that of a senior finance manager.
The capstone Case Study Examination provides a simulated context allowing candidates to demonstrate that they have acquired the required knowledge, skills, techniques and the mindset required for that role.
Our innovative products cover:
- Technical knowledge review
- Complete current preseen analysis
- 3-5 mocks and plenty of tasks for writing practice
Do check the video on the right side to learn how PTA can help you pass your Strategic Case Study Exam in May 2021.
There are no calculations in the Case Study Exam. You've passed your E3, F3 and P3 exams already. SCS is a totally different type of "animal".
The Pre-Seen will be available before the exam. And you need to know it inside out. The new "unseen" information will come up on the exam day, that will build on the pre-seen scenario and you will need to use them in your answer.
A balanced answer script is your key to success. The exams are human marked... and no-one likes to read long essays. Make sure you input each significant thought in another paragraph and keep them short. It is all about the quality, not the quantity!
There is no escaping the keyboard! Typing skills will surely help you pass your exam. Typing speed of 20 words per minute in general will be sufficient to produce a ‘good-sized’ answer.
Our SCS Packages
- for May - August 2021 Exam Window -
SCS preparation video series
Generic preseen analysis videos + pdfs
E3, F3 & P3 OT Revisions Videos
Preseen analysis from the E3, F3 & P3 POV
18 single tasks to practice your writing 5 (E3), 5 (F3), 5 (P3) + 3 (ethics)
3 mocks with solutions and marking guide
Extra videos on ethics, writing technique, mock walkthroughs
1 bonus mock from BPP
(4 mocks in total)
Mocks marking service x1
SCS Masterclass + mock homework assignment (17.05 at 7pm UK time)
1 bonus mock from BPP
(6 mocks in total)
Marking service - 3 in total
Mocks and SCS Revisions are already included in the packages above.
SCS Webinar already included in the SCS Master Package.
Mocks marking relates only to mocks written by PTA.
1, 2 or 3
- outstanding quality-
1, 2 or 3 high-standard mock exams
Solutions and marking guide included
Written by Case Study experts
- that makes a difference -
Professional mocks marking service
Notes and tips from our Case Study Experts
2-3 days turnaround time
- get last minute tips -
Complete a mock prior webinar (mock included)
Quick revision - your focus areas for the exam
Mock walkthrough including feedback
FREE SCS Study & Exam Materials here:
Our SCS Free Package comes with great features, plus instant access to the following materials:
Access to the selected current pre-seen materials and preparation videos, e.g. a deep dive into your role at the exam.
3 Practical Tasks with solutions, covering E3, P3 and F3 papers. All carefully prepared for the current SCS preseen.
Get instant and lifetime access to our newest SCS free materials.
Practise the above mini mock under exam conditions i.e. timed and using the similar word-processor, so you can improve your writing technique.