Advance with CIMAManagementCase Study
And get 1 step closer to becoming a CGMA
What isMCSAll About
and how can we help you prepare and pass
Revise E2, P2 and F2 papers, from the Case Study POV
Watch the complete preseen and industry analysis videos
Practice writing from the start! 15 tasks + up to 7 mocks available
Get your mocks professionally marked, find out where to improve
Pass your MCS exam with ease using our student pass guarantee
The most effective way to prepare for your Management Case Study
At this level, you should be ready to take on the role of a Finance Manager and demonstrate competence when completing tasks for this exam.
You are provided with simulated business-related context (preseen), which outlines the main features of the company, such as personnel, departments and financial statistics. Using the information provided, you are expected to display not only knowledge, role-play skills and technical capabilities, but most importantly, good quality context that is written in an easy to understand way, backed up by evidence.
Our resources for the MCS exam include the following:
The Case Study Examination provides a simulated context which allows learners to demonstrate that they have acquired the required knowledge, skills, techniques and mindset for that role. Those five core activities are:
- Evaluate opportunities to add value.
- Implement senior management decisions.
- Manage performance and costs to aid value creation.
- Measure performance.
- Manage internal and external stakeholders.
Each of those core activities will have 15%-25% weight on the exam.
- There are four examination windows per year, in February, May, August and November. For details of upcoming Case Study Examination dates, visit cimaglobal.com.
- Pre-seen material will be published on the CIMA website ahead of the May and November examinations. The same preseen will be used for 2 examination windows (e.g. preseen will be the same for May-Aug and Nov-Feb sessions).
- Candidates must use the material to prepare for the examination, immersing themselves in the simulated scenario and considering the organisation’s current position and future strategy.
- During the course of the examination, new information will be provided at the start of each section (task). In response, candidates will have to consider the new information that’s been given, as well as their previous analysis of the pre-seen material.
- Results will be available in MyCIMA about six weeks after the examination.
- The examination lasts three hours. A 15-minute tutorial is available before the start of the examination to allow candidates to familiarise themselves with the test driver.
- The examination has four sections (tasks), which are each 45-minutes long. All sections are equally weighted. Candidates may finish a section early and move on to the next but cannot return to previous sections in the time remaining.
- There may be more than one sub-task within each section and an indication of how long to spend on each sub-task will be given to allow candidates to manage their time. If no weighting is given, then candidates should assume that the sub-tasks are equally weighted.
- More than one core activity will normally be assessed in each section/task and the order of core activities and assessment outcomes in the blueprint does not reflect how these might be structured in the examination.
- All core activities will be assessed in each form of the examination in line with the weightings.
- The examination requires constructed, written responses from candidates in the format of a range of business communications (for example, emails, memos, reports and briefing notes).
- The Case Study Examinations are human marked.
- The Case Study results will contain the following information:
- Grade: Pass or Fail
- Scaled score: 0 to 150 with 80 and above being a Pass
- There is no requirement to obtain a pass or meet a minimum threshold for each core activity.
- Feedback on performance against each core activity will be provided so that learners know their areas of weakness for further study.
Our CIMA Management
Case Study Packages
Our packages are designed to arm you with the skills and knowledge that you need in order to successfully pass your OCS exam. Not only that, but our prices are the most competitive on the market today.
Calculations are not the focus in case study tasks
You need to provide explanations as to how and why particular financial activities can affect the business you are in. You need to give suggestions that can improve the financial aspect of the organisation, but it’s important to not go off-topic.
Our packages are in place to help you stay on track, focusing on key points in order to keep the examiner satisfied and maximise your marks.
You need to have mastered all key concepts
Using your technical knowledge of the theory from the F2, P2 and E2 syllabi, you should have an understanding of how to adapt it into your answers and provide evidence to show that you clearly understand all key concepts.
Our revision packages are designed specifically to ensure you leave no stone unturned when you need to revise all key concepts of the theory from each module.
Lengthy essay-style answers are not required
Detailed answers are certainly good and backing up those answers with further information is equally good, but remember, the exams are marked by humans. Write well-thought-out answers in short paragraphs and don’t be a stranger to bullet points.
Our marking service is firmly in place to help you get expert feedback and make the improvements that you need ahead of your exam.
You can access to the preseen 7 weeks prior to your exam
7 weeks doesn’t sound like a lot of time, and it isn’t, so don’t waste a day of that crucial time and get to grips with the preseen as soon as it’s available to you. It’s so important, because on exam-day, you’ll get unseen information, that will tie in with the preseen.
We scrutinise the preseen, presenting you with clear detailed facts in order to help you fully understand it from every angle.
Slow typing speed can hold you back
A lot of typing is expected from you on exam day and the clock will be ticking. By now, you should know how quickly time passes when you are in an exam scenario, so there's no time like the present to start practising.
If you can type around 20 words a minute then you should be fine, but if not, you should be aiming for this as a minimum.
GET Your FREE MCS
Study & Exam Materials here
Our MCS Free Package comes with great features, plus instant access to the following materials:
Access to the selected current pre-seen materials and preparation videos, e.g. a deep dive into your role at the exam.
3 Practical Tasks with solutions, covering E2, P2 and F2 papers. All carefully prepared for the current MCS preseen.
Get instant and lifetime access to our newest MCS free materials.
Practise the above mini mock under exam conditions i.e. timed and using the similar word-processor, so you can improve your writing technique.
Sign up for your free MCS Materials
for your FREE package
Our MCS Packages
- for November'22 - February'23 Exam Window
|Preseen and Industry Analysis Videos|
|Apply E2, P2, F2 to the Preseen Videos|
|Theory Revision Videos|
|Case Study Preparation Series|
|15 x Writing Practice Tasks|
|Professional Mocks With Solutions||3||5||6||7|
|Email Course Reminders|
|Mock Exam Walkthrough|
|Professional Mock Marking Service||1||3||5|
|Commonly Tested MCS topics|
|Most Likely Unseen Issues|
|Private 1to1 Tutor Lessons (30min)||3|
|Personal Tutor Guidance|
|5* Tutor Support|
|Pass Assurance, Money Back Guarantee|
- outstanding quality-
£25 / mock
1, 2 or 3 high-standard mock exams
Solutions and marking guide included
Written by Case Study experts
- that makes a difference -
£45 / mock
Professional mocks marking service
Notes from our Case Study Experts
2-3 days turnaround time
We care, we blog
Check our MCS related blog. Study tips and tools. Exam resources. We are bringing it all!
How to Pass
Management Case Study Exam
CIMA has taken a totally different approach towards CIMA Case Studies (CS) as opposed to the Objective Tests (OT) papers. I assume you know the differences since you are reading this article, but just to cover everything, let me just quickly give you an overview of how the exam is structured and what does it consist of.